Friday 21 June 2013

Examination Revelation

My A level exams are over, finally along with my time in school education. Though despite this there is an evident void in my life since revision has not been occupying my day. Not only have I found this gap but also amongst my peers. This then begged the question to me, is there a serious issue with education? After studying for X amount of months my peers and I have noticed now we crave for  mental stimulation that exams present us. I think it would be the wrong suggestion for more exams; there are plenty to keep people occupied already. However, I see people want to have a wider interest in a subject or an issue. Young people crave that extra amount of information especially if it is not on the syllabus. Possibly the best way to get information from students is not grilling them to succeed in a memory test, but rather present well rounded individuals who have a interest in something through some sort of research and essay task.
Coursework by many has been frowned upon for the possibility of cheating. However, I feel if the students are picking the topics or directing their life they are more likely to take personal interest and ownership of their study. Furthermore, this is something that universities are crying out for from undergraduates. They want students that are motivated, and wish to expand their mind. Therefore, is it not wise to start this process at school? Creating well rounded students and not just those who can retain information for an exam. In addition I feel that people retain information for a longer period of time if they have an interest in something, rather than generic revision, which strives not to have an interested in a topic but rather just to find the easiest route to an A grade.

Thank you for reading,
Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment